Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Oh Say Can You See

Bill and I just tuned in to the Miami Heat and Oklahoma Thunders game 3 tonight.  I was taken back when I heard 11 year old Julia Dale sing the National Anthem.  Wow, she has a set of vocals.  I was brought up to respect not only my elders, but my country as well.  I take the singing of our National Anthem and honoring of our flag very seriously. 

I don't know about you, but nothing disturbs me more than when I go to a sporting event and I see young teenagers who refuse to remove their hats, or talk during the playing of the National Anthem.  I can't help but think of my grandpa's generation and wonder how this makes them feel to see this type of disrespect. 

I can remember in elementary school standing to the side of my desk and reciting the Pledge of Allegiance everyday.  I was taught, in that same elementary school, to put my hand over my heart during the playing of the National Anthem.  Why?  To show respect and honor to my country and to the men and women who sacrifice for it. 


Do you remember Whitney Houston singing the National Anthem before the Super Bowl back in 1991.  Talk about a moving performance and such a wonderful set of vocals.  I was moved.  The National Anthem seems to bring a tear to my eye each time I hear it.  Am I just being sentimental?  Maybe, but I wouldn't want to be any other way.

To all who have served, is serving, and have given their life for this country - thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment