Thursday, June 14, 2012

It's Nesco Time!



I haven't had a dehydrator for a long time, and since I am trying to become more sustainable, I searched the internet high and low for the perfect dehydrator for our home.  I read reviews, visited manufacture web-sites and even asked Bill's opinion, just to be nice that is, and I finally decided to by the Nesco FD-1020 Gardenmaster. 

Dehydrators are not cheap and I wanted to make sure I bought a quality product.  I have already made a fruit roll sheet batch.  It wasn't bad, but it wasn't great neither.  It was my first attempt, so I wasn't too upset.  We love fruit, so I plan on drying some fruit, making some beef jerky and dehydrating some onions.

Some details that I like about this machine over the others is:
  • that some parts are dish-washer safe
  • it has an adjustable thermostat
  • there is no need to rotate trays (so they say, I haven't found that out for sure yet)
  • the fan is on top of the unit forcing the air down
The negative is that it is loud.  I will take loud however, if it means a good product in the end.  I was able to purchase some vidalia onions at the grocery store on sale this week, so I am going to try and dehydrate them (in my garage of course) this weekend.

I'll be blogging more about recipes and ideas on how to use your dehydrator this summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment