Wednesday, June 27, 2012

French Toast Crowd Pleaser


Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, yet a lot of us go without it.  On the weekends, I always try to make something special.  Growing up, my grandparents spoiled us with biscuits and gravy, bacon, eggs, milk, orange juice and our Flinstone vitamins.  It seemed like my Grandma and Grandpa woke up at the crack of dawn to make this special breakfast for all of us.  This is still my all time favorite breakfast. 

Recently, I came across this recipe.  My husband loved it and I thought it was okay.  I guess that's what happens when you try new things.  One thing different that I would add to this recipe is ground cinnamon.  I don't think it would need a lot, but a little bit would give it that extra kick that it seemed to be lacking.

Ingredients:
4 count of sweet buns from your local bakery
8-oz cream cheese, softened
8 eggs
1 and 1/2 cups of milk
2/3 cup half and half cream
1 and 1/4 cups of maple syrup
1/2 tsp of vanilla
2-4 T of powdered sugar

Directions:


Cut or tear bread into 1" square pieces.  Place bread cubes in a lightly greased 9x13" casserole dish.




In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese with an electric mixer until smooth and then add eggs one at a time, being sure to mix well after each addition. 



Stir in milk, half and half, 1/2 cup of the maple syrup, and vanilla until mixture is smooth.  Pour cream cheese mixture over the bread, cover, and refrigerate overnight.



Remove the casserole from the refrigerator and let it stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Bake uncovered for 45 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean.  Pour remaining maple syrup over the casserole and sprinkle with powdered sugar.  Serve warm.

This recipe is also good reheated.

No comments:

Post a Comment