Friday, June 22, 2012

Beef Jerky


Beef jerky I made in the dehydrator.
As a woman, I love beef jerky, which my husband thinks is odd.  Having three brothers though, you learned to eat things or you didn't eat!  I've been anxious to use my dehydrator out for this specific purpose and it was GREAT!

I went to Rural King, and purchased some Backwoods Jerky Seasoning in original and hickory flavor.  I have to tell you that the directions weren't very clear and I had to call my friends Jason and Lori to decipher them for me.  Basically, I used the entire package for four pounds of ground meat. 


I used my newly purchased "jerky gun" to make the jerky mixture into strips and put on the dehydrator.  I know that not everyone uses the jerky gun, but it was a lot easier to use it than to do this all by hand.  My dehydrator came with a timer, so I set it for 10 hours.


When I woke up the next morning, this is what my beef jerky looked like.  I wiped each strip of jerky off with a paper towel and to my surprise, there was very little grease.  I broke the long pieces in half and stored all of the jerky in an air tight container.  Needless to say, the first batch went quickly.
p

No comments:

Post a Comment