Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Eggs Anyone?



This is one of my beautiful Barred Rocks!

On our farm, we have around 100 chickens that we keep.  It started out as a hobby and has grown into a passion.  I enjoy hearing the roosters crow in the morning, the hens clucking as they're laying and just watching them peck around in the pasture or the barn.  They are fascinating creatures!  Not to mention a source of food for eggs and meat.

We usually take our chickens in for processing once a year.  I like to keep the flock fresh and I enjoy having meat that we raised in our freezer.  We only have two roosters on the farm and the rest are hens (females).  It is wonderful to have farm fresh eggs for breakfast when we want them and for cooking.

This is a batch of eggs that was washed and cleaned today.
We have chickens that lay brown, white and green eggs.
Potato salad, egg salad, ham salad...any salad that uses eggs is a staple at our house.  We eat eggs daily.  There is a misconception about eggs not being healthy for you, especially when it comes to your cholesterol, but that is really not the case.  According to the American Egg Board, "...eggs are lower in cholesterol than previously recorded. The USDA recently reviewed the nutrient composition of standard large eggs and results show the average amount of cholesterol in one large egg is 185 mg, a 14 percent decrease. The analysis also revealed that large eggs now contain 41 IU of Vitamin D, an increase of 64 percent."  They ARE good for us!

Growing up, I can remember my grandma and grandpa getting up at what seemed like 3 A.M. to start cooking breakfast.  It was a hillbilly breakfast and we ate it everyday.  Grandpa would start the coffee and begin frying the bacon while grandma made the buttermilk biscuits.  After the bacon was done, the eggs would be cooked over easy and then the gravy would be made from the leftover bacon grease.  It was heavenly!  Then we'd have an small glass of orange juice, a small cup of milk and our Flinstone vitamin.  Life was good! 

Now that I'm married, I can't cook a hard egg.  My husband loves for the yolk to be busted and cooked that way, but I just wasn't raised that way.  I can only cook my eggs scrambled or over easy.  I don't want the yolk busted.  In fact, I make myself an egg sandwich every once in awhile.  I gently toast two pieces of bread, put a little Miracle Whip on it, and then stick my egg in there.  That first bite, the yolk busts and yummy is it good!  And of course, I have to sop up the yoke with my bread.  Bill thinks it's gross, but I enjoy it.

The yolk is the yellow portion of the egg.
It contains most of the vitamins, minerals and fat
from the egg!

The Incredible Edible Egg has numerous egg recipes that you can try!

No comments:

Post a Comment