Thursday, May 31, 2012

Here's to Finding Your Treasure

I LOVE garage sales...my husband, not so much.  I was brought up going to and having garage sales.  It was family time.  That's what we did.  If we needed new clothes, we shopped around at garage sales.  We weren't poor, but we weren't rich either.  My parents worked hard, but to own a pair of name brand name tennis shoes or jeans was a big deal in our house.  We had hand me downs.  We shopped at Goodwill.  There was no shame in it, it was the times. 

We went "rummaging" today, as my grandma calls it, with some specific things in mind.  We are hoping to re-do our kitchen within the next 9 months and I want to start buying things for it.  Since we live in a farm house and we already have rustic/vintage items, I want to keep that feel in the kitchen.  I adore old kitches utensils and even use them from time to time.  Here are some of the items that we purchased:


Bill purchased a few tools for the barn that he found reasonably cheap and I was going rustic.  My favorite find was an antique food chopper.

After doing a little internet research, this is a Foley Food Chopper, black handled, three blade, more than likely from the 1950's.  I am going to be trying this bad boy out just as soon as I can get it cleaned up.  There is just a little bit of rust on it, but it should all come off with a little cleaning.  That's what "rummaging" is all about...finding that little something that is someone else's trash, but your treasure!

The State Road 40 garage sales is a yearly event and stretches across several states.  It is amazing how popular it has become and how far people will travel for good deals. 

Here's to finding your treasure today:) 

No comments:

Post a Comment