Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Welcome to "The Farmer's Wife, IN" - yes, the IN is for Indiana.

I was quite productive yesterday.  I was in a cooking/baking mood and decided that since I don't always feel like cooking when I get home from work, I would take advantage of having a day off and pre-make our dinner for the week.

First things first. I wanted a nice coffee cake to drink with my coffee in the mornings. My mother-in-law use to make the best Sour Cream Coffee-Cake, so I thought I would try my hand at it. 




Turned out to be really good.  Not quite my mother-in-laws, but close.  Here is the recipe:

Sour Cream Coffee-Cake
Batter:
2 c granulated sugar
1 c margarine

Cream these two items together.  Then add:

2 eggs
1 c sour cream
1/2 t vanilla

Mix well.  Then add:

2 c flour
1/2 t salt
1 tsp baking powder

Mix until combined.  In another bowl, let's create the topping mix by mixing together the following:

6 T brown sugar
1 t cinnamon
1 c chopped nuts (optional)

Next, grease and flour a 9x13 baking pan.  Spread half of the batter mix in the pan and then sprinkle half of the topping mix over the batter.  Then add the remaining batter, spreading so it's even in the pan (which can be a little tricky I learned) then add the rest of the topping mix.  Bake at 350 degrees for 45 to 50 minutes.

Glaze:
When the coffee-cake has cooled, mix the following to create a glaze and sprinkle it over the top:
2-3 T milk
1 c powdered sugar
1/2 t vanilla

Cut the coffee-cake into squares and store in an air tight container. 

In addition to this recipe, I also made a meatloaf, no-bake cookies, and a chicken casserole.  I was on a roll.  Needless to say, I am looking forward to going home tonight and just popping a dish in the oven!  Genius?  I think so:)




No comments:

Post a Comment