Friday, May 25, 2012

Ridiculously Good Rhubarb Crisp

Cut up rhubarb for my "rhubarb crisp."
Until I married Bill, I am not sure that I really knew what rhubarb was.  I know it's edible, but what is it?  How is it grown?  How do I cook with it?  My mother-in-law made wonderful pies of strawberry and rhubarb together, but when she passed away, I was on my own.

So, I turned to Ohio State University's publication, Growing Rhubarb in the Home Garden.  The publication states, "Rhubarb (Rheum rhabarbarum L.) is a cool season, perennial vegetable, grown for its leafstalks that have a unique tangy taste used for pies and sauces."  And it is good!

We have the Crimson Red variety and it suits the two of us well.  Knowing that I didn't really have any rhubarb recipes I began to frantically search the internet and finally came across a recipe that I have fallen in love with.


Cheri, from Kitchen Simplicity had the perfect recipe on her blog for Rhubarb Crisp.  In addition to the recipe, she adds that the "crisp" ingredients can be made ahead of time and stored for future use with other recipes.  I can almost eat the crisp topping by its self.  Let me know if you try this recipe out and what you think of it!!!


This is the "crisp" topping that I keep stored
to save time and use in multiple recipes by
simply adding 5 T of melted butter.


This is the final product before going into the oven and it is
good warm or cold...trust me!

No comments:

Post a Comment