Friday, August 24, 2012

Cantaloupe Freezer Jam

I keep hearing about cantaloupe jam and how good it is.  Cantaloupe is one of my favorite things to eat in the summer, so naturally, making jam out of it intrigued me.  I looked at what seemed like 30 recipes before I picked one that I wanted to try.  Several of the recipes called for the use of a vanilla bean, but I was just too tight to pay $8.99 for four of them, when the recipe only called for one.

Now some of you might be thinking, "ick cantaloupe jam," and others might be saying, "hmmm, cantaloupe jam."  I have to tell you, it is actually pretty good.


To begin, pick a nice size cantaloupe that is not overly ripe.


Cut the cantaloupe up.  I cut it in long pieces first.


Then I diced it into cubed pieces.  After testing a few pieces of the cantaloupe (I had to make sure it tasted good), you should come up with approximately 4 cups of cantaloupe.

Next, put the cantaloupe in a pot.

 
 
Then add 1/4 cup of freshly squeezed lemon juice (approximately 1 1/2 lemons). 
 
 

Bring the two ingredients to a boil, mashing the cantaloupe the entire time.



Once it begins to boil, add 1 package of Low or No-Sugar Needed Pectin stirring all the while.  Once the mixture comes to a hard boil again, add 3-4 cups of sugar.  I wanted mine a little sweeter, so I added the 4 cups.



After adding the sugar, let the mixture boil hard for about 5 minutes, continue stirring the entire time.

Take mixture off of the stove and let cool for about 5 minutes.



Ladle into freezer containers, let cool completely and then store in the freezer.  I use the 8 oz Ball Freezer Containers.  The little dish on the right is what I served with my 7-Up biscuits.  It was delicious!
Keeps up to one year in the freezer.

No comments:

Post a Comment