Friday, November 30, 2012

Mom Mc's Oyster Dressing




Oyster Dressing




On our first Thanksgiving together, I learned that Bill liked Oyster Dressing.  At that point, I had never even tried an oyster, and well, had no desire to.  My mother-in-law, however, made Bill Oyster Dressing for both Thanksgiving and Christmas and one of our family members has an "Oyster Fry" each year.  Needless to say, I don't mind fried oysters, but don't you dare feed them to me raw.

With all of that being said, I learned to make Oyster Dressing for my husband, from his mom.  Although, I am calling this recipe "Oyster Dressing" I want you all to know that I make the entire recipe without the oysters first, so I can have my own batch, and then add the oysters to the rest of the dressing mix for Bill.

Here is the recipe:

Oyster Dressing

Ingredients:
1 loaf of white bread
1 pint of oysters
Parsley, fresh or dried, to taste
1 t poultry seasoning
salt and pepper to taste
Turkey and/or chicken broth
1 onion, diced
2 eggs
1/4 t sage
1 T butter

Directions:
READ ALL DIRECTIONS BELOW FIRST BEFORE ADDING ANYTHING TO THE BREAD.

Add ingredients as follows: bread, eggs, onions, parsley, poultry seasoning, sage, salt/pepper, oysters and broth.


Break up the loaf of white bread the night before.  Cook turkey for broth the night before or use canned chicken broth. 
 
















Clean oysters by dumping them in a strainer and running cold water over them.
I usually cut mine in half. 















Dice onion and fry them in butter (about 1 Tablespoon of butter) to soften. 















Dice fresh parsley or use dry parsley to your liking.




Break eggs into mixture one at a time, working them all in.



Next, add the poultry seasoning.

 












Then add the sage.

 


Add enough of the broth that you get a good moist consistency.
At least 2 cup fulls, more if needed.


Once everything is mixed, pour into two greased pie plates and bake at 350 degrees until your desired done-ness.

 



No comments:

Post a Comment