Thursday, June 7, 2012

The Procession


What a day.  Had a three hour meeting right off the bat at work, computer problems, then lunch.  My wonderful husband picked me up for lunch for none other than farm work!  Ugh.  Regardless, we were still able to spend time together and in this crazy day and age, that is important. 

While we were eating our lunch, a funeral procession went by.  Now, I don't want you guys to think I have a thing with death - I mean at some point, we will all expire, but I was brought to have respect for my elders and proper funeral etiquette.  As this funeral procession headed north, all the cars in both the south bound lanes pulled over and stopped.  Bill and I quit talking and watched in silence as the procession went by, knowing that these people were about to bury a loved one.

The entire funeral procession took maybe three minutes.  It did my heart good to see people pull over and show not only respect, but compassion for this family.  Three minutes isn't a long time in the hustle and bustle of life.  We all have things to do and places to be, but that family will never get that loved one back or forget that all those cars were nice enough to let them by.

Additionally, I believe that you should pull over for the police, ambulances, funeral processions, fire trucks and volunteer fire fighters.  These service members are trying to save lives, fight fires, or help in some way.  LET THEM BY!  I have never understood why people don't pull over.  I've pulled over and had cars go around me because I pulled over to let an ambulance by.  Seriously!

I guess this is a pet peeve of mine.  Do you feel the way that I do?  Does your community handle things differently?  I know parts of the world do things opposite of the Hoosier state. 

No comments:

Post a Comment